Classes of hosting services
A hosting solution includes saving and/or sharing specific web content on a web server run by a website hosting company. There are various classes of hosting services used for various goals, so let's survey these. In this way, you can conclude what you need, based on whether you'd like to run a site, mail addresses, or to share files with mates and acquaintances.
- File hosting: a solution furnished by various web hosts, which permits you to share large files. These could be disk images, films, audio files, archives, etc. This solution is also known as file storage, and its sole designation is to share files, since it does not offer site uploading. Once the files are uploaded, you will either receive an accidentally generated download link for each of them, or you will be able to survey a list of all the files in a directory, but you will not be able to open .html or .php website files in your web browser. Free-of-cost file hosting plans are often supported by displaying adverts next to the download links, while a timer compels you to wait for a certain stretch of time to see them. A single file can be downloaded with restricted speed. If you own a paid file hosting account, there are no limitations as to how many files you can upload/download at once, and also there is no limitation as far as the download speed and the file size are concerned.
These days, with the assistance of the cPanel hosting distributors, "file hosting" is being renamed to the more faddish "cloud hosting". This is an entirely false interpretation of the actual meaning of "cloud hosting". An actual cloud website hosting system would distribute the tasks at hand between autonomous bunches of servers in a cluster, which are committed to serving different web space hosting services (email, web space, statistics, DNS, databases, web site hosting Control Panel, etc.) So, the file hosting solution is merely a sort of a disk space hosting solution, not a cloud hosting one. It's not even near.
- Image hosting: akin to file hosting; certain vendors provide a hosting solution for images solely. This hosting brand is suitable if you desire to share an enormous quantity of images with chums or partners since the service is generally free. You will receive a random link for every pic or album and you can subsequently share this link. As with the file storage service, .html and .php files are not compatible, so the service cannot be used for web pages.
- E-mail hosting: a service devoted to managing your email mailbox accounts. Some corporations provide hosting solutions for web sites, but do not offer an email hosting service. If you desire to have an email address with your domain name but do not want to possess a site, then the email hosting service is what you need. You can create mail accounts and administer them, but there will be no hosting solution for the domains. The email hosting service includes incoming POP/IMAP and outgoing SMTP email servers.
- Video hosting: this service permits you to upload and share videos. You can either share a link to a certain video clip, or you can embed the video in your web page that is hosted somewhere else. The benefit of availing of this approach instead of uploading the video in a hosting account is that the video clip produces a certain amount of CPU load, so with a few videos and a few hundred website viewers, you may have a hard time with your web page hosting resources. Embedding the video clip will enable you to run as many videos as you want to without worrying about system resources.
- Website hosting: this is the service that you need if you would like to own a site. To a certain degree, it consists of all of the aforesaid hosting kinds since, along with your web sites, you can also host images and files, you can have databases and mail accounts, upload videos, and so on. At SupremeServer, for instance, you can take a gaze at web hosting and dedicated web hosting packages that permit you to have all of the abovementioned solutions in a single place. There may be limitations based on the kind of hosting service that you've settled on - a free hosting plan, a paid shared hosting account, a VPS or a dedicated server. Based on that, your site hosting package may be better or worse juxtaposed to the regular email/file/video/image hosting accounts that are devised for specific content exclusively.